Monday, January 21, 2008

Let Freedom Ring


I wasn't able to make it to the Martin Luther King Champagne Brunch in Jackson, Miss. this morning, but I'll still be celebrating this amazing man's legacy in my own way. I definitely believe that I wouldn't be me, doing the things I'm doing today, had it not been for the Civil Rights Movement that Dr. King energized in the early 1960s.

And as a writer, I've always admired the way he delivered speeches so that it felt like his powerful words were cascading over you. I'm glad video footage of the historic "I Have a Dream" speech delivered on Aug. 28 1963 during the March on Washington still lives. These are two of my favorite alliterative passages:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."
"I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will they be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood."

If you're off today, don't miss The Dream Lives: A Martin Luther King Day Special on Oprah. My friend, the super-smart and bubbly Janet Lee, is one of the producers who worked really hard on this show, so I know it will be meaningful and moving.

No comments: